Former Alaska Gov. Palin blasts ESPN for suspending Curt Schilling: 'The difference between Hitler's army and the genocidal maniacs of ISIS is that the jihadists don't have as much power... yet. By denying the accuracy of Schilling's tweet, ESPN shows its weakness as it buys into the propaganda of ISIS and other terror organizations, helping mislead the public about the very real threat of terrorism' - @SarahPalinUSA
ESPN statement on Colin Cowherd leaving ESPN radio: 'We've enjoyed a mutually beneficial run with Colin for over a decade. He came to national prominence on ESPN with his unique perspective on sports and society. Endings also bring new beginnings, for ESPN and Colin, and we thank him and wish him the best' - @ESPNPR
ESPN's Chris Broussard says he should have attempted to contact Mark Cuban before reporting the Dallas Mavericks owner was contacting people to find DeAndre Jordan's home; 'I recognize that I tweeted hastily, I'm sorry for it' - @Chris_Broussard
Editor's note: ESPN and HBO's Michelle Beadle and CNN's Rachel Nichols said they have been banned from the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas for tonight's fight between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. Both journalists have covered Mayweather's history of domestic violence, USA Today reports. The boxer has been convicted in several cases. - Stephanie
CNN's Rachel Nichols, ESPN and HBO's Michelle Beadle say Floyd Mayweather's team banned them from MGM for tonight's fight against Pacquiao - @Rachel__Nichols, @MichelleDBeadle (edited to clarify Beadle also provides coverage for HBO).
Get faster updates
Download the free Breaking News app for faster updates, alerts and live video.
ESPN (originally an acronym for Entertainment and Sports Programming Network) is a U.S.-based global cable and satellite television channel owned by ESPN Inc., a joint venture between The Walt Disney Company (which operates the network, through its 80% controlling ownership interest) and the Hearst Corporation (which holds the remaining 20% interest). The channel focuses on sports-related programming including live and recorded event telecasts, sports news and talk shows, and other original programming.
ESPN broadcasts primarily from studio facilities located in Bristol, Connecticut. The network also operates offices in Miami, New York City, Seattle, Charlotte, and Los Angeles. John Skipper currently serves as president of ESPN, a position he has held since January 1, 2012. While ESPN is one of the most successful sports networks, there has been much criticism of ESPN, which includes accusations of biased coverage, conflict of interest, and controversies with individual broadcasters and analysts.
As of February 2015, ESPN is available to approximately 94,396,000 paid television households (81.1% of households with at least one television set) in the United States. In addition to the flagship channel and its seven related channels in the United States, ESPN broadcasts in more than 200 countries, operating regional channels in Australia, Brazil, Latin America and the United Kingdom, and owning a 20% interest in The Sports Network (TSN) as well as its five sister networks and NHL Network in Canada.