Fulton County is a county located in the U.S. state of Georgia. As of the 2010 census, the population was 920,581, making it the most populous county in Georgia. However, Atlanta mayor Kasim Reed suspects significant undercounting in the City of Atlanta, which implies similar concerns for Fulton County as a whole – the 2009 estimate of the county's population was 1,020,014, 10.8% higher than the 2010 census results. The current 2013 estimate for the population of Fulton County is 984,293. Its county seat is Atlanta, the state capital since 1868. 90% of the City of Atlanta is within Fulton County (the other 10% lies within DeKalb County). Fulton County is the principal county of the Atlanta metropolitan area.
Fulton County is included in the Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Roswell, GA Metropolitan Statistical Area.